What is cPanel directory privacy?
If a directory is protected by this, then if somebody from the front end of your website tries to access the file, they will be prompted to provide a username and password, if username of password does not match, then the user will not be able to see the content of that directory. …
How do I use directory privacy in cPanel?
How to configure directory privacy in cPanel
- Log in to cPanel. …
- In the FILES section of the cPanel home screen, click Directory Privacy:
- Click the name of the directory that you want to protect. …
- Click Edit.
- Under Security Settings, select the Password protect this directory check box.
What is a directory in cPanel?
A home directory is a unique directory designated for your usage. It may contain a variety of content including, scripts, symlinks, raw data, configuration files, and the publich_html folder. The home directory contains your cPanel username on the server.
How do I password protect a file in cPanel?
How to password protect files and directories
- Log in to your cPanel account >> Files section >> Directory Privacy menu:
- Once there, you may pick up the directory you wish to protect:
- In Security Settings section give a name to the protected directory and check-mark Password protect this directory option:
How do I generate Htpasswd?
Creating the . htpasswd file
- Log into your server via SSH.
- Create an .htpasswd file in the directory you wish to password protect using the the htpasswd utility. …
- Enter the password for the user. …
- Run it again (without the -c option) for any other users you wish to allow access to your directory.
How do I password protect a Web folder?
How to Protect Web Hosted Folders with Passwords
- Log into cPanel and scroll down to the Security section.
- Click Password Protect Directories.
- If a box pops up, select the domain that you want to protect.
- Select the folder you want to protect.
How do I password protect a subdirectory?
You need to generate a password (username+password) string for authentication, write it to a file and place it inside the subdirectory you want to restrict access. You can use HTTP password generator tool to do this. Copy and paste the string you obtained from the above site to a new file (.
How do I create a password protected subdomain?
Select Domains to go to your Domain Control Panel. Click the Subdomains link.
Create a password-protected subdomain
- Enter the name of your new subdomain in the Subdomain field.
- Choose your password-protected folder from the Subdirectory pull-down menu.
- Click the Add button.
How do I protect my public
To limit or control access to particular directories within the public_html directory:
- Connect to cPanel.
- Click on Directory Privacy in the Files section. …
- Click on the icon to the left of a folder to see its content.
- Click on the folder name (as opposed to its icon) to modify its security settings.
How do I access my directory in cPanel?
Click Settings. The Preferences interface will appear. Select a folder to open by default: Home Directory — The main folder for your account.
What is tilde directory?
The tilde (~) is a Linux “shortcut” to denote a user’s home directory. Thus tilde slash (~/) is the beginning of a path to a file or directory below the user’s home directory.
How do I password protect just one file?
How to Password Protect a Single File
- Step One: Edit . htaccess. If you haven’t already done so, first, open your text editor and create a file named . …
- Step Two: Create . htpasswd. …
- Step Three: Assign Username and Password. Now, use the htpasswd-sp command to add or change a password for a user yourname.
How do I password protect a single file?
How to Password Protect One File
- Create a file named . …
- Create an encrypted password using either a utility such as the command line program htpasswd or an htpasswd generator. …
- Right click on the . …
- In the popup that appears, click the Edit button.
- Place the generated . …
- Click on the Save Changes button.
How do you password protect a file on a server?
How to password protect a folder
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder you want to password-protect. Right-click on the folder.
- Select Properties from the menu. …
- Click the Advanced button, then select Encrypt content to secure data. …
- Double-click the folder to ensure you can access it.